An aid organization for the Jews in Poland was founded in December 1942 and continued its activities until January 1945. It was based on the Provisional Committee for Aid to the Jews established in September 1942, whose members included W. Krahelska-Filipowicz and Z. Kossak-Szczucka. It was created under the aegis of the Delegation of the Government of Poland, and financed from its budget. Zegota functioned on the basis of an agreement between center and left-wing political parties active in the Polish underground, such as Polska Partia Socjalistyczna [Polish Socialist Party] - Wolnosc, Rownosc, Niepodleglosc [Freedom, Equality and Independence], Stronnictwo Demokratyczne [Democratic Party], Stronnictwo Ludowe [People's Party], Front Odrodzenia Polski [Front for the Rebirth of Poland], and a coalition of Jewish organizations (Bund, Zydowski Komitet Narodowy [Jewish National Committee]).
Most activities were in Warsaw, where its main groups were operating, but the organization had district councils in Krakow and Lwow as well. The Council's tasks included finding shelter for Jews who were in hiding and providing false documents (approximately 50,000), known as "Aryan papers". The Council also distributed financial assistance and food, arranged medical care and organized assistance for Jews who were in the camps.
The Council's chairman was J. Grobelny, followed by R. Jablonowski in 1944. F. Arczynski, W. Bartoszewski, A. Berman, L. Feiner, P. Gajewski and J. Matus also played particularly important roles in the organization.