Children attended to a cheder at the Jewish community. In the Grand Duchy of Posen (1815–1848) Jewish children were obliged to attend to public schools under general compulsory schooling[1.1]. In Września after 1824 a two-class Jewish school was set up; it had two classrooms. It was located in a building between the synagogue and ul. Poznańska. Apart from the school the building also housed a tailor's and a furrier's shops[1.2]. The school taught Maths, Science, Geography and three languages: German, Polish and Hebrew; the latter was used for teaching Religious Education. With every year of its operation the school suffered more serious problems. In 1914 only 21 students attended it. The school was closed at the beginning of the 1920's[1.3].

Due to the fact that the town lacked a high school, representatives of the Jewish community joined the petition to create one, sent to the authorities in Poznań. On 31.03.1880 the consent to set up a private high school was received. Both Jewish children and those of other religions attended the school. Mojżesz Lewin, MD, taught R.E. In 1905 out of 232 students 38 were Judaism followers.

An example of cooperation among followers of various religions was the Crafts Supplementary School, set up in 1887. The Jewish students attending the school were represented by Wolff, a teacher.

The Association for the Jewish History and Literature also operated in Września. It was set up in 1897 and its chair was Mojżesz Lewin, MD. Its other activists were: doctor Michaelsohn, M. Miodowski, R.A. Penser, teacher Sohn[1.4]. Led by the ideas of the Haskalah, its aim was to conduct educational activity, as well as to propagate literature and history among the residents of Września.

 

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

  1. Bergman O., Narodowa Demokracja wobec problematyki żydowskiej w latach 1918-1929, Poznań 1998.
  2. Heppner A., Herzberg J., Aus Vergangenheit und Gegenwart der Juden und jüdisches Gemeinden in den Posener Landen, Koschmin-Bromberg 1909.
  3. Jaworski R., Swój do swego. Studium o kształtowaniu zmysłu gospodarczego Wielkopolan 1871-1914, Poznań 1998.
  4. Jodłowski K., "Pomnik w miejscu synagogi" [in:] Kronika Wielkopolski, no. 1(105), Poznań 2003.
  5. Kemlein S., Żydzi w Wielkim Księstwie Poznańskim 1815-1848, Poznań 2001.
  6. Kostrzewski L., Ludność żydowska we Wrześni w latach 1919-1939, Września 2009, p. 17.
  7. Schiper I., Dzieje handlu żydowskiego na ziemiach polskich, Warsaw 1937.
  8. Skupień A., Ludność żydowska w województwie poznańskim w latach 1919-1939, Poznań 2007.
  9. Wrzesiński Słownik Biograficzny, Września 2002.
  10. Żydzi w Wielkopolsce, eds. Topolski J., Modelski K., Poznań 1995.

 

 


 

 

 

 

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Kemlein S., Żydzi w Wielkim Księstwie Poznańskim 1815-1848, Poznań 2001, pp. 86-89.
  • [1.2] Kostrzewski L., Ludność żydowska we Wrześni w latach 1919-1939, Września 2009, p. 13.
  • [1.3] Kostrzewski L., Ludność żydowska we Wrześni w latach 1919-1939, Września 2009, p. 14.
  • [1.4] Leopold Kostrzewski, Ludność żydowska we Wrześni w latach 1919-1939, Września 2009, p. 17.