The first information about the colony comes from 1583. In 1638 King Wladyslaw IV gave the colony a town charter. The official founder of the city Bojanów was Lord High Steward Stefan Bojanowski. The first residents of the city were protestants form Silesia at the time of the Thirty Years War. In the XVII century, Bojanowo was the main centre of Protestant thought. The Lutheran college was very well known throughout the whole republic.

In 1647 and 1651, the evangelical synod took place in Bojanow. In 1663, Bogusław Bojanowski got permission from King Jan Kazimierz to found another city. The city received the name Bogusławowo and soon became a new home to many Czech refugees. Bojanowo was a very important craft centre. The fabrics produced in Bojanowo were exported to Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine and far east. At the end of the XVIII century, there were over 200 linen drapers still actively working. In 1793, both cities - Bojanowo and Bogusławowo - were combined into one city. That is why the city today has two main market squares.

In 1856, Bojanowo was conencted by rail to Wrocław and Poznań. In 1857, due to a fire, the whole city was destroyed. 440 buildings were burned in total. Rebuilding work took place and the city was reconstructed exactly as it was before the fire based on old city maps.

In 1880, barracks to the cuirassiers were build. During World War II, the barracks contained the prison and the criminal camp in which 400 men were detained.

In 1881, Franz Junke built the brevery, which was running until recently - 2006. In 1907, the German Agricultural School was founded in Bojanow, from 1922 represented by the Polish administration (now known as the Agricultural School Complex). On the 17th of January 1920, the city was again within Polish borders[1.1].

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] B. Zgodziński, Województwo leszczyńskie, Warszawa 1981, s. 51-52, 130-132