Kugels come in so many different favors, variations, shapes, and sizes. Try a basic potato kugel that is still a favorite in eastern Poland region of Podlasie.
Watch the video and learn how to prepare delicious kugel!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 minute
Total Time 1 hour and 20 minutes
Temp: 375 F/190 C
- Big bowl
- Grater or food processor
- Mixing spoon
- Frying pan
- 9 x 13 pan
- 6-8 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 tbsp. matzoh meal or 2 broken matzohs or flour
- oil or shortening
- 1 additional onion, chopped and sautéed
1. Preheat oven to 350 F/190 C. Grate potatoes and drain excess liquid. Grate in onion. Add egg, baking powder, salt, pepper and matzoh meal, mix and set aside.
2. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with butter or oil of your choice.
3. Pour potato batter into pan.
4. Sautee some onions until they are translucent, and salt with 1 tsp of kosher salt for taste. Be careful not to overcook them. They will cook more in the oven.
5. Pour sautéed onion pieces over top.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until brown on top.