The first historical mention of Lubraniec comes from 1326. At the time, a parish church existed in the settlement, which was a small farming village owned by the Godziemba family. The parish was supposed to pay a fee called the Peter's Pence. The inhabitants of Lubraniec dealt mostly with animal husbandry, agriculture and trade. The development of the latter was facilitated by the village's location at the Zgłowiączka River, which at the time was still navigable. The settlement of Lubraniec was an open one. In the second half of the 15th century, Grzegorz of Lubraniec was the Crown Vice-Chancellor.

On 14 April 1509, thanks to the efforts made by Jan Lubrański (the Bishop of Poznań), Zygmunt I Stary granted town rights to the settlement. By virtue of the town privilege, Lubraniec came under the Magdeburgian law and was no longer under the jurisdiction of provincial governors, castellans, aldermen, vice-chancellors, judges, and assistant judges. The location charter was approved on 5 March 1512. Lubraniec was granted the right to organise three fairs a year and one market a week. For 14 years, the population was exempt from paying duties, tolls, and the czopowe tax (tax on the production of honey, beer and spirits). The entire town was consumed by a fire in 1549. In the 16th century, Lubraniec was owned by the Chlewiński family, and later by the Dąbski family. In 1746, August III granted extended the town's privilege and allowed for 12 fairs to be organised each year.

Until the 18th century, Lubraniec was a part of the Kingdom of Poland. It was located in the Brzesko-Kujawskie Duchy, later converted into the Brzesko-Kujawskie Province. In the years 1793–1807, following the Second Partition of Poland, the town was annexed by Prussia and became a part of the Province of South Prussia (first Piotrków Department, later Poznań Department). In the years 1807–1815, it was incorporated into the Duchy of Poland (Bydgoszcz Department). In 1815, it became a part of the Russian-controlled Congress Poland and located in the Włocławski County in the Mazowieckie Province (later Warsaw Governorate).

In 1869, Lubraniec lost its town rights. At the time, it was a local trade and craft centre. In the 19th and the 20th century, the local craftsmen specialised in grain trade. In the early 20th century, small food industry developed in the town (chicory drying plants, mills, oil mills, and windmills).

A narrow-gauge railway line between Lubraniec, Włocławek, and Koło was built in the town in 1915. In 1916, the town regained city rights. In the newly independent Poland, in 1918, Lubraniec was located first in the Warszawskie Province and later, starting from 1938, the Pomorskie Province. During the German occupation of Poland in the years 1939–1945, it was directly incorporated into the Third Reich as a part of the so-called Warthegau.

In the years 1945–1975, the town was a part of the Bydgoskie Province and the Wrocławskie Province. Since 1999, it has been the district capital in the Włocławski County (Kujawsko-Pomorskie Province).


  • W. Kubiak, Z dziejów Lubrańca, Toruń 2000.