The new synagogue, an impressive Neo-Romanesque building, was consecrated in 1880. It was located in the same place as the old synagogue, and its construction costed 51,000 marks. For this reason taxes paid by members of the kehilla in 1898 were very high, and reached 165% of the income tax, and were consecutively lowered to 150%, 110%, and 90%. This allowed for a sum between 3,188 and 3,045 marks to be raised. This rate remained steady in the following years, and it was not until the 1920s that it was lowered to 6%. The synagogue stood until Kristallnacht (November 9, 1938), when it was torched by SA[1.1] and SS[1.2] soldiers. The fire was not extinguished, and the fire department only saw to it that the flames did not spread to neighboring buildings. The ruins of the building walls were blown up, and the stones were used to build local roads. In 1939 the famous Dahlia garden (German – Dahliengarten) was established on the plot of land where the synagogue once stood, an area of 1,500 square meters. Later the city hall was to be built there, however, instead, a kindergarten was located in the building erected on that spot after the war. Currently, a branch of the Farming Restructuring and Modernizing Agency (AirMR) is located there. Since 2001 a case has been underway to return the land to the Jewish community in Szczecin, and will likely result in the community receiving another plot of land of similar monetary value [1.3] [1.4].

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] German Sturmabteilung (SA) - Assault detachment that functioned as a paramilitary organization of the NSDAP – the German Nazi party.
  • [1.2] German Schutzstaffeln (SS) – grew from a small paramilitary unit to a powerful force that served as the Führer's "Praetorian Guard," the Nazi Party's "Shield Squadron."
  • [1.3] http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synagoga_w_%C5%9Awidwinie, [accessed on September 11, 2008].
  • [1.4] http://gk24.pl/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/SWIDWIN/70227004/1021, [accessed on September 11, 2008].