Brójce is a large village, which is the seat of the sołectwo (the lowest unit of the local administration, usually comprising of a single village). In the early Middle Ages a stronghold existed here. Its traces remain and can be seen 2 km south from the center of Brójce. The town was first mentioned in writing in 1319. In 1428 King Władysław Jagiełło granted the starost (district head) from Babimost the right to establish a town here based on Magdeburg Law. There was, however, only a small amount of settlers, therefore, the process of establishing the town was very slow. Due to this, Brójce was not granted full town rights until 1603, when Sigismund III Vasa was the King of Poland.

The economy of the town was based on crafts and agriculture. In the 18th century, the drapery industry especially developed here. Also,  there were shoemakers', potters’, millers’, bakers’ , tailors’ and brewers’ guilds in Brójce. Fairs took place regularly. The town, however, did not belong to the wealthy ones. Towards the end of the 18th century, only three houses were covered with roof tiles. Old, wooden buildings in Brójce were destroyed in two fires in 1657 and 1807. In 1871, the majority of the population engaged in agriculture and only a few people were aritsans, shoemakers, clothiers and millers. In the 19th century, there were seven windmills, some of which survived until the 1930's.

During the Reformation, Brójce was a center of Protestantism. The Protestant congregation existed here before 1657. After the fire in 1807, only the Evangelical Church was rebuilt, the reason being that at that time there was no Catholic community located in the town. A Catholic Church was built here in the years 1859-1861.

During World War II, to the north of the town, a prison camp named Brätz opened. Initially, only Jews were imprisoned there. Later, it was transformed into a so-called educational labour camp for Poles and prisoners from across Europe. On average, 800 -1,200 people were interned there. The living and work conditions were appalling. It is estimated that over 2,000 people died there and many other prisoners were taken to extermination camps. The camp was closed down in January 1945. There is a monument and a mass grave commemorating the victims in the cemetery in Brójce.

After 1945, the German population was displaced and people from the Eastern borderlands and central Poland settled down in Brójce in the scheme of settling the so-called regained land. The town, deprived of pre-war craftsmen and traders, started to have a rural character and in 1946 it lost its town charter. From 1973-1976 the village was a seat of the municipality of Brójce.

 

Print