The mention of the village of  Cieszowa dates back to the beginning of the 14th century. Around 1305, the village arose under the Latin name of Cessova w Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis ("Wrocław Bishopric Remuneration Book”)[1.1]. In the 14th century, it came under Czech rule and the first Jews appeared here midway through that century.

In 1526, Cieszowa was included inside the Habsburg monarchy. The first Protestant church was built here in 1598. In the following century, as the result of the successful Counter-Reformation, the village was taken over by the Catholics. St.Marcin's church was built in 1751, a timber building which still stands to this day. As a result of the Śląskie Wars, Cieszowa, together with a majority of Śląsk territory, came under Prussian rule in 1742.

In 1855, the village had 499 residents - 476 Catholics, 18 Jews and 9 Evangelicals. In 1921, as the result of the successful Third Śląsk Rebellion, the village, together with the entire Lubliniec DIstrict, was incorporated into the reborn Polish Republic. In 1980, the church of St Marcin becam e an independent parish.

In 2005, at the initiative of the residents, a statue of the villages patron, St.Urban was erected on this site of the old synagogue (which was dismantled in 1911). The statue was to mark the village's 700th anniversary.

Bibliography

  • Urban K., Die katholische Kirche und die Synagoge zu Czieschowa, Kreis Lublinitz, Oppeln 1911.
Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Liber Fundationis Episcopatus Vratislaviensis, [in:] Codex Diplomaticus Silesiae, vol. 14, ed. H. Markgraf, J. W. Schulte, Breslau 1889.