Little is known about the history of the synagogue in Markuszów. It is a fact, however, that in 1681 the local community was granted a privilege to erect a synagogue[1.1]. Although its existence is not confirmed by any historical source from the late 18th century[1.2], the existence of an independent kehila in Markuszów from 1766[1.1.2] or even earlier, from 1686[1.3] makes it quite probable that the synagogue was at work here at that time. Unfortunately, thus far, the exact location and design of the building have not been identified but, most probably, it was located in the south-east part of the town, within the boundaries of the so-called Jewish district. The synagogue was completety destroyed by the Nazis during World War II. Not even one remnant of the edifice has survived till the present day.

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Trzciński A., Śladami zabytków kultury żydowskiej na Lubelszczyźnie, Lublin 1990, p. 24.
  • [1.2] Markuszów [entry] in: The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, eds. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, vol. 2, New York 2001, p. 797.
  • [1.1.2] Markuszów [entry] in: The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, eds. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, vol. 2, New York 2001, p. 797.
  • [1.3] J. Teodorowicz-Czerpińska, Markuszów. Studium historyczno-urbanistyczne, Lublin 1984 (m-pis).