It was already in the 13th century when a village called Buki existed. In 1289 Buk was granted a charter as a property of Poznań’s bishops. At that time it was an important trade and craft center that provided service for local settlements located in the middle of great beech forests. At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries Buk was one of the biggest towns in Greater Poland. At that time the town was surrounded by fortifications. Also, church dignitaries of Poznań diocese had their residences in Buk. Infidels were not allowed to settle down in the town as well as its neighborhood. In 1655 the town was destroyed by the Swedish army. In 1710 the town’s population was decimated by an epidemic. In 1793 Buk got under the Prussian rule and due to the Prussian law the Jews acquired the right to settle down in Buk.
The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: [email protected]