The first written records of a settlement named Ketre date back to 1321[1.1]. At that time, the settlement was granted town rights. Therefore, it is clear that the town existed for years prior to that time. In the year 1327, Prince Władysław Bytomski, (1277-1352) paid homage to the King of Bohemia. Since that time, Kietrz shared the political fate of Silesia. The town was surrounded by defensive walls and a moat in 1451[1.2]. Ludwig II Jagiellon (1506-1526), King of Bohemia and Hungary died heirless in 1526 and consequently, the throne was taken over by Archduke Ferdinand Habsburg. As a result, Kietrz passed under the rule of the Habsburg dynasty. By that time the town was a well known textile manufacturing centre. Great fires destroyed the town in 1560, 1641 and 1642. In 1742 the town, under the changed name of Katscher, was incorporated into Prussia. At the beginning of the 19th century weaving industry developed in Katscher. There were 386 weaving workshops in this town in 1840. Katscher numbered 2,626 inhabitants in 1855[1.3]. A railway line, connecting the town with Racibórz and Głubczyce, was opened in 1896. In 1935 the population of Katscher numbered 9,032 inhabitants.
During the Second World War, in January, 1945, the Soviet Army captured the town and burnt down and destroyed approximately 80 % of its buildings.