The municipal authorities of Bychawa gave the Jewish community permission to establish a new cemetery in 1911. This was mostly done thankt to the efforts of rabbi Rachmil Grinbaum who was the local rabbi from 1894[1.1]. The land for the new cemetery was bought for 800 rubles from Andrzej Łobodziński. Funds were donated by Szmul Erlich[1.2]. The inhabitants of Grodzany and Kolonia Gałęzów were against a new cemetery, afraid that the river near the cemetery would be polluted.
- [1.1] A. Koprukowniak, Bychawa..., p. 109.
- [1.2] M. Dębowczyk, Spór..., p. 4.
- [1.3] P. Sygowski, Bożnica w Bychawie unikalna, „Gazeta Bychawska”, no. 2/29, Bychawa 1995, p. 4.
- [1.4] Bychawa, International Jewish Cemetery Project, http://www.jewishgen.org/cemetery/e-europe/pol-bl.html, [as of the 18th of February.2008].