A settlement called Swarancz was mentioned as early as in 1366. It was granted town privileges in 1638 and was temporarily renamed to Drzymałów. Jews started to settle here from the very beginning. The town was the most important textile center in Greater Poland in the 17th century. Swarzędz became a part of the Prussian partition in 1793, after which it belonged to the Duchy of Warsaw from 1807 and Prussia from 1815. 61 Jews lived in the town in the interwar period (1921) and constituted 2% of total town population. The Germans captured the town at the beginning of the Second World War, in September 1939. In 1941-1943 they established here a forced labor camp for Jews from Poland and Germany. There were approximately 1,200 prisoners in the camp, who worked at the construction of a railway line from Swarzędz to Antoninka. Those who died were buried at the local Jewish cemetery. Last 100 Jews from the camp were transported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in August 1943.
The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: email@example.com