It is known that the Jewish cemetery in Wolin was established in 1818 (though other sources say that it was established between 1880 and 1890). Before the deceased of the community were buried in the nearby cemetery in Kamien Pomorski (Cammin) and in Boguslawie near Stepnica (Birkenwalde bei Stepenitz). The Jewish cemetery occupies the area of approximately 0.12 ha and it is not marked on contemporary maps due to the fact that the maps created in 1938 were destroyed by fire. The cemetery’s location, however, was reconstructed thanks to information acquired in 1999. it was located on a hill called Srebrne Wzgorze (Silver Hill, German Silberberg) in the town’s northern part, near the railway line, between the extention of Fliess-Straße (previously Neue Straße, nowadays near Prosta St. )[1.1] and the Dziwna river (Dievenow). Its location is relatively far from the town with a distance of about 1.5 km. The last burial took place there in 1939 or 1944. Before 1945 the cemetery had been surrounded by a fence with a gate that was locked. During the war the cemetery was severely destroyed. The territory is still not built over and is hidden behind shrubbery. It is used by the local inhabitants to stock refuse, whereas the nearby land is being cultivated. In 1989 there still were three gravestones on the cemetery, one of them untouched, with Hebrew inscriptions (according to other sources from 1991 there were 40 gravestones preserved on the cemetery, made of granite or sandstone, many of them ruined and transferred from the place where they originally stood, with inscriptions in Yiddish and German). The oldest gravestone comes from 1922[1.2]. After 1945, a series of archeological excavations were carried out in the region of Srebrne Wzgorze as a means of examining the beginnings of Wolin’s history and Slavic settlement in that region. There is a picture taken in 1989 where the old cemetery is shown from a distance of 1,150 m. The picture was taken from the tower of the Church of St. Nicolas. It can now be admired in book form[1.3].