A sub-camp of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp operated in Lędzin from February 1944 to January 1945. It was situated at the “Günther” mine that was being constructed at this time (now KWK “Piast”) and was called Günthergrube. There were 586 prisoners there (mostly Jews) who performed slave labor for the Fürstlich Plessische Bergwerks AG company.
 

Today, on the site of the former camp, there is a primary school at Paderewskiego Street. In the yard, behind the school, there is an obelisk honoring the memory of the murdered prisoners of the KL Günthergrube.
 

Print