Biecz. A Discovery in the Talmud Torah
The building of the Talmud Torah was erected in the years 1924–1927. The rooms on the first floor housed a school (cheder) and the Jewish People’s Bank. On the ground floor there was a synagogue with a women’s section. Over the next few months, the building will undergo comprehensive renovation, which is why two enthusiasts of the history of Biecz, Damian Nowak and Krzysztof Przybyłowicz, explored its attics with the consent of the city mayor. Among the rubble mixed with straw and bird faeces, they found approx. 300 prints and manuscripts documenting the operation of the aforementioned bank. They date back to the late 1920s and the early 1930s, and include share and deposit passbooks, blank bank forms, promissory notes, daily reports, correspondence cards, proofs of payment, composition of the management board and the supervisory board of the bank, and files documenting the scope of financial operations with banks across the country. Moreover, documents issued in Yiddish and Hebrew (mainly religious books) were secured during the search; their state of preservation is very poor, the vast majority being fragmentary. Some of the documents will be transferred to the memorial hall, which is set to be created underneath the old Shul synagogue and the Talmud Torah.