W. Wysocki's Private Craft School in Białystok was established in 1906. This building was put up thanks to private funds. Most of the financial resources for building the school were given by the Jewish philanthropist Kalmen Wolf Wysocki. The school was named after the donator.  

At first Russian was the language of instruction. Learning of a craft was combined with the curriculum of Talmud-Torah schools. This school had three branches: ironwork, carpentering, and weaving. By the outbreak of World War One the school had had 8 graduated grades. During the conflict the school remained closed, while its equipment had been destroyed. 

It was not until 1921 that the school reopened, but it was licensed as late as 1924. The school had still been in financial straits and in 1926 it became the property of the community. Despite all that, it was financed by different sources. For example in the school year 1936/37, 40% of the expenses were covered by the ICA company, 10% by the Jewish community, and 5% by Białystok Municipality. The budget was supplemented by the income from what the school's workshops manufactured (25%) and the tuition paid by students (15%). 

During the interwar period, lessons were performed in Jewish. Józef Śmigielski was the first head teacher, and then, from 1926 onwards, the post belonged to Maks Łinski. The facility was a kind of lower vocational school. To be enrolled, students had to finish at least a four-year primary school and be under 18. Education in the school took 3 years and the institution offered four sections (textile, locksmith, carpentering and construction). Within the textile section, the school, as the only Jewish establishment in Poland, organised four- or eight-moth adult vocational trainings with specialisation in textile. The school also had a brass band with 28 members. In the school year 1936/1937, 325 students attended the school, 35% of whom were from outside Białystok.

 

Bibliography:

H.Majecki, Oświata żydowska na Białostocczyźnie w okresie międzywojennym, in "Białostocczyzna", no. 1, 1998, pp. 52-53

Print