On 30 September 2017, on the day of Yom Kippur and the 270th anniversary of the foundation of the local Jewish community, a lapidarium was opened in Barczewo – historically Wartenburg, a small town in Warmia, 15 km from Olsztyn – by enthusiasts of the local history.. The ceremony was held thanks to the involvement of Krystyna Szter, president of the Barczewo branch of the “Pojezierze” Socio-Cultural Association in Olsztyn. Among the guests there were representatives of the local authorities, deputy director of the Museum of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, as well as Joanna Mieszczyńska, who represented POLIN Museum.
The matzevot returned to Barczewo after more than 70 years. The inscriptions were partially translated, and the association also prepared a plaque presenting the history of the local Jewish community. The ceremony was held in the Neoclassicist synagogue built in 1847, which today houses the “Synagoga” Art Gallery and thus constitutes a thriving cultural centre – a venue for exhibitions, vernissages, concerts and classes of the University of the Third Age.
On the occasion of the ceremony, the “Synagoga” Art Gallery received an exceptional gift – a fragment of the Torah found somewhere in the attic by Hieronim Skorupski. It was donated to the synagogue by Ewa Hopfer – president of the “Pojezierze” Socio-Cultural Association. Hieronim Skorupski was one of the founders of “Pojezierze” and acted as its president for many years (1956–1969). For more than 60 years, he has actively participated in the artistic life at the national and the regional level.