The Dowspuda Bakałarzewska village was founded in the first half of the 16 century. The exact date of receiving the municipal charter is not known, but it probably happened in the 16th century. From 1795 on it was part of the Prussian partition, from 1807, of the Duchy of Warsaw, and from 1815, of Congress Poland. In 1852, a massive fire ravaged the town. In 1870, Russian authorities deprived Bakałarzewo of its municipal charter.

During World War II, in September 1939, German troops captured Bakałarzewo. However, after fierce combat, Poles recaptured the city, which was thereafter occupied by the Red Army. Destroyed were as much as 90 percent of town buildings. In June 1941, Bakałarzewo was taken over by German forces.

 

Print