The oldest mentions of the trade settlement Fürstenwald come from 1214. In 1266, the town of Fürstenwald was granted the municipal charter. Its advantageous position by the trade route from Wrocław to Kluczbork stimulated the town’s development. Since 1329, the town was under Czech rule, and its political situation resembled that of Silesia. In the 16th century, the town changed its name to Bieruthow. Since 1526, it belonged to the House of Habsburg. Since 1742 it was part of Prussia. It was when the town changed its name to Bernstadt. In the 18th century, the textile trade began to develop.
During WWII, Bernstadt was captured by the Soviet Army in January 1945. After the war, the town’s name was changed to Bierutów.