The history of Chałupki is associated with the history of the neighbouring Bogumin, a village whose Chałupki was once part of. The first mention of the settlement Annaberg (then German name Chałupki) comes from 1373. At that time, Silesia was a fief of the Czech kings. It was then that Prince Jan Raciborski sold Bogumin to Baruthów house. There was a castle guarding the trade route from Moravia to Silesia. With the course of time, there appeared a farm, inn and buildings of the local population in its surroundings.
In 1526, Chałupki along with the entire Kingdom of Bohemia came under Habsburg rule. In the years 1623-1803, the owners of the castle in Chałupki was the Henckel von Donnersmarck house. In 1682, the castle was rebuilt, which took the shape of a baroque mansion. After the Wrocław peace deal in 1742 (Silesian War ended), the town was divided into two parts: the Austrian and Prussian. These events initiated the development of the settlement as an independent village. At that time, the number of people living in the area of current Chałupki was propably about 70 people[1.1].
From 1818, Chałupki was a part of Raciborskie County, Opole region. In1823, Józef Dittrich, the then owner of Schloss Oderberg (German Castle Bogumin) or Preussisch Oderberg (German Prussian Bogumin), succeeded in his efforts to name the village Annaberg.
In 1831, there was one of the largest outbreaks of cholera in Silesia. The disease also took its toll in Chałupki. The dead from the village and the surrounding area were buried in a common grave, near today's petrol station, and marked with roadside cross. In 1835, the village had 137 inhabitants, and it was one of the smallest villages in the county as far as the number of inhabitants was considered. At the same time, in 1833 due to the disastrous state of some century-old bridge over the Oder River, it was closed to traffic and a few years later the bridge was demolished and replaced with ferry crossing. Further data on the inhabitants of the village come from 1845. At that time, it had 28 houses and was inhabited by 164 residents, five of whom were Jews and 3 Evangelists[1.2].
In the years 1846-1936, the castle was owned by the Rothschild, a banking family. In 1847, a railway line from Raciborz to Bohumín was opened, laid on the route from Berlin to Vienna. In 1886, the village was connected with the railway line from Wodzisław Śląski. Thanks to the positioning of the border railway station in Chałupki, there was a rapid development of the village. In 1852, it opened a sugar factory and distillery, and then a brickyard. The population increased several times, especially due to the influx of workers, customs officers and railway officials. This contributed to the opening of the school in 1878.
In 1921, during the plebiscite, the villagers were in favor of the incorporation of Chałupki into Germany. In the 1920s and1930s, the village was developing. While in 1924 there were 581 inhabitants, in 1937 it had 1,050 residents. During this period, the village significantly expanded. It was merged with the neighbouring villages - Rudyszwald and Zabełkowem and named Ruderswald. In 1936, Nazi authorities took away the castle in Chałupki from owners and, together with the adjacent property, gave it to the widow of a German General, Baroness von Kirchen und Rotkirch Pancken. On 30 April 1945, the Chałupki was invaded by Soviet troops, and due to the decisions reached at the Potsdam Conference, it was incorporated into Poland[1.3].
- [1.1] K. Kotas, Chałupki history to the year 1742 in: Chałupki.pl [online] http://www.chalupki.pl/ story-to-1742r.html [Accessed 25 April 2013, link not active 30.03.2020].
- [1.2] K. Kotas, Chałupki history from 1742 to 1847 in: Chałupki.pl [online] http://www.chalupki. pl/historia-chaupek-1742-1847.html [Accessed 25 September 2013, link not active 30.03.2020].
- [1.3] K. Kotas, Chałupki History 1918-1945 in: Chałupki.pl [online] http:/ / www.chalupki.pl/historia-chaupek-1918-1945.html [Accessed 25 Sept. 2013, link not active 30.03.2020].