During the interwar period, Agudath in Częstochowa had its headquarters at 13 Katedralna Street. While the party had an office, it did not have salaried members. It had 325 members. Its Board consisted of President Mendel Foge, Vice-President Icek Major, Second Vice-President Abram Horowicz, Secretary Mosze Dzialowski, Treasurer Dawid Elrich, and Board member Henryk Bradelski.


Supporters of Agudath believed that Jewish matters should only be considered in the context of religion, which is why they opposed nationalists and Zionists. In their eyes, Palestine was the Holy Land. Therefore, in their opinion, any political activity aimed at establishing a Jewish state was sinful. The party's agenda included the following statement: “Pray for peace and for the success of the state.” This reflected their attitude towards the young Polish state, whose legislation was thought to be equal with religious laws. Agudath was therefore loyal to the Polish government.


Agudath found support among the majority of the Jewish population its members were Orthodox Jews, Hasidim, small craftsmen and merchants. Such a wide member base of the party is evidenced by the fact that Częstochowa had many cheders headed by private individuals and local educational societies. The respect shown by Agudath towards rabbis, Talmud scholars and spiritual leaders also influenced the party’s popularity. On the other hand, the fear of new, unknown aspects of life proposed by parties with radical nationalist and social programs were met with distrust among the wealthy and the middle class. Stability, peace and order were always beneficial for the development of trade, entrepreneurship and crafts. This factor significantly impacted the attitudes of voters in the 1920s.


In the first election to the Częstochowa City Council, Orthodox Jews ran under the banner of the Jewish Electoral Committee, which was formed especially for this election. From all the Jewish groups participating in that election, it received the highest number of votes – 2,467, which allowed them to introduce five of their representatives to the City Council. In elections held between 1919 and 1939, the results proved to be similar.


Agudath considered the Zionists, Poale Zion, the Bund and independent Jews, all of whom stood against them, as heretics and dissenters. Members of the party thought that only they, as God-fearing Jews, were the true sons of Zion. The County Office supported Agudath's attitude as the authorities sought to treat the Jewish community of the town as a purely religious association. In political battles, Agudath members sought external support from state authorities, to whom they forwarded information about their opponents, referring to them as “radicals0”. Only the clerical-conservatives Jews such as themselves were thought to be Jewish patriots of the Polish state.  Agudath opposed the creation of secular libraries, theatres and schools. In Częstochowa, Agudath owned schools run by the Beit Yaakov Education Society[1.1].

Print
Footnotes