In 1881 a school of crafts and commerce was established in Ciechanowiec. Its goal was to provide education and vocational training mainly to orphans and children from poor families. The school was located in a two-storey building, constructed for that purpose at Brańska Street.

In the early 20th century another modern and spacious building was erected in Ciechanowiec. It housed a vocational school for young Jews and offered education at a high level. The subjects taught there included Hebrew, history and religious education. The building was seriously damaged during the First World War. The school never resumed its operation after the war.

In 1908 a state 4-grade junior high school for boys was established in the town. The school offered education at a high level and enjoyed a good reputation despite the fact that Russian teachers employed there followed a Russification-oriented syllabus. The school was attended mainly by boys from Catholic families and a small number of Jewish boys. Its building burned down during the First World War and consequently the school was closed.

Already before the First World War, numerous cheders operated in the town, including “Metukan”, a Hebrew reformed cheder remaining under the influence of the Haskalah and the Talmud Torah run by the community. Just before WWI, the “Tarbut” Hebrew school was established in the town. [1.1].

In the interwar period, the town experienced a rebirth of Jewish education. There were numerous schools, including those offering Zionist education. The schools that resumed their operation after the war included the Tarbut school, which enjoyed a great popularity, and the "Metukan" cheder. The Jewish community maintained the Talmud Torah along with a Hebrew school financed by Ciechanowiec Jews who emigrated to the United States.

In 1922, a new “Tarbut” Hebrew school was opened in the Old Town. It offered a modern curriculum influenced by the Zionist doctrine. Numerous graduates of that school continued their education in Jewish junior high schools in Vilnius, Warsaw, Grodno (Hrodna) and Białystok. The school had its own library of about 2,500 volumes, mainly masterpieces of Hebrew and Yiddish literature, as well as magazines, including those printed in Palestine.
During the years 1919-1922, a private school for girls operated in Ciechanowiec. It was located on the second floor of the house of Szepsel Rubinsztajn and the subjects taught there included Polish, German and Hebrew. Another school for girls, “Beit Yaakov”, was established in 1925 and was supported by Agudat Yisrael.

In the same year a Jewish kindergarten was opened in the New Town. Moreover, during the interwar period in Ciechanowiec, there was also a stated 7-grade school for Jewish children, called “Szabasówka”.

In 1928 a yeshiva was founded in the town. It provided education to about 100 young men from Ciechanowiec and neighboring towns. [1.2].

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Ciechanowiec, [entry] in: The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, ed. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, vol. II, New York 2001, p. 260.
  • [1.2] Ciechanowiec; mehoz Bialystok, sefer edut ve-zikaron, ed. by E. Leoni, Tel Aviv, 1964, s. 345 – 381; English translation : http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/ciechanowiec/Ciechanowiec.html#TOC719; Ciechanowiec, [entry] in: The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, ed. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, vol. II, New York 2001, p. 260.