Dąbie was granted town rights in 1423, however, Jews began to settle there as late as the 18th century. A large influx of Jews took place in the first half of the 19th century, along with the development of the local textile industry. But the factories that were established at that time did not last long. In the second half of the century most of the Jews were involved in producing textiles in their own homes. Jews were also active in the brewing industry and owned several mills. The local merchants bought fruit, pelts, grain and other products from local peasants, and then sold them in Łódź, Koło and Kalisz. Jewish charity organizations operated in the town. From 1850, Asher Ogonowski was the rabbi of the local community[1.1]].
In 1808, out of 787 inhabitants of the town, 90 were Jews; in 1827 - 298 (out of 1,881 inhabitants); in 1857 - 701 out of 2,980 inhabitants, and in 1897 - 977 out of 3,148.
At the beginning of the 20th century, there was a synagogue in the town as well as Beth Midrash and Hasidic houses of prayer. At that time, Jewish workers founded a trade union, and a local merchant association - a cooperative savings and credit union. Even before the First World War, Zionist organizations were formed.
After 1918, an orthodox school for girls, Bais Yaakov, was established. At that time, there was also a library and an amateur drama club in Dąbie. In the interwar period, there were political parties - General Zionists, "Mizrachi", Zionists-Revisionists, Agudath and Bund, among others. In 1939, about 1,100 Jews lived in the town.
After the town was occupied by Germans in September 1939, the synagogue was destroyed. From December 1939, Jews had to wear armbands with the Star of David. In the summer of 1940, the Germans set up a ghetto, initially open, in which they gathered about 920 prisoners. People from other places were also brought to the ghetto. Soon 150 men and 50 women were taken to labour camps near Poznań.
The ghetto was liquidated on December 14-17, 1941. On December 14, Jews from Dąbie were locked up in the local church. Since many did not come, those who came were released. They were closed again on December 17, 1941. This time almost all of them showed up, so they were transported to the Chełmno extermination campp[1.2].
- Dąbie, [in:] Pinkas Hakehillot Polin, Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland, Volume I [online] https://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/pinkas_poland/pol1_00086.html [access: March 29, 2021].