The Władysław Jagiełło Public Middle and High School in Drohobycz – a secondary school for boys. It was opened on 23 May 1858 as the Franz Joseph Middle School (which became a public facility in 1874), but later on, its name was changed to the Władysław Jagiełło Middle School.
It was renowned for its excellent teacher staff, which included Bruno Schultz, who taught drawing, handwork, and, sporadically, maths. He worked there in the years 1924–1941. Between 1902 and 1910, he himself had studied in the school (which had still been called the Franz Joseph Middle School). Schultz had been considered one of the brightest pupils and graduated with honours in 1910. Schultz also designed the school standard, which was blessed on 18 May 1939. The standard depicted Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn and Władysław Jagiełło connected with the inscription “God and Fatherland.”
In the first decade of the existence of the Second Polish Republic, most of the graduates of the school were Jewish. In the years 1918–1928 the situation was as follows: Jewish students constituted (at least) ca. 53% of the students, while Roman Catholics and Eastern Catholics – 8% each (with the exact percentage fluctuating between 4% and 28%). In 1939, the religious structure of the school was as follows: humanities-oriented high school – 17 Jews and 5 Roman Catholics (no Eastern Catholics); group with advanced maths and physics – 14 Jews, 8 Roman Catholics, 2 Eastern Catholics[1.1].
- [1.1] Józefczuk G., Historia gimnazjum, czyli dzieje Drohobycza jak w soczewce, Stowarzyszenie Festiwal Brunona Schulza [online] http://www.brunoschulzfestival.org/index.php?tpr=news&id=65 [Accessed: 10.08.2014]; Mazur M., Neudorf-Polminowice. Współżycie narodowości na ziemi drohobyckiej, Poznań 1999, p. 81.