The Głogów synagogue was built in 1892 and is located on Kołłątaja Street[1.1]. The building was designed by architects from Berlin: Hans Abesser and Jürgen Kröger and was modeled on the Munich synagogue.

The central part of the building, which was 32 m high, was topped with a tall dome. There is a rosette with the Star of David on the portal of the façade. On the sides there are ground-floor annexes with dome-like roofs. The building could accommodate 300 men and 250 women. The synagogue was built in the eclectic style with elements of the Neo-Gothic, Neo-Renaissance, and the so-called Moorish styles. It was regarded the most beautiful synagogue in Germany[1.2].

On the night of 9/10 November 1838 (Kristallnacht), the synagogue was burnt down, and its ruins were blown up. On the site where the synagogue once stood, a monument designed by Dariusz Wojtowicz was erected in 1993. The memorial site consists of the reconstructed foundations of the synagogue and a small obelisk which bears the inscription in Polish and Hebrew: "This monument, erected by the residents of Głogów, in recognition of the memorable service of the Jewish community and its last spiritual leader Rabin Leopold Lucas for the social and cultural development of the town, is located at the site of the synagogue that was desecrated by the Nazis in 1938 and commemorates the tragedy of Jews living in this area for over 700 years up to their displacement in 1942. The Town Council of Głogów.”

The area around the monument is illuminated. A mockup synagogue will be displayed in a special case placed next to the monument.

Print
Footnotes
  • [1.1] Alicke K.-D., Glogau (Schlesien), [in:] Lexikon der judischen Gemeinden in dem deutschen Sprachraum, v1, Muenchen 2008, colm. 1493.
  • [1.2] Borkowski M., Włodarczyk T., Śladami Żydów: Dolny Śląsk, Opolszczyzna, Ziemia Lubuska, Warszawa, 2008, p. 25.