The town was founded in 1662 at the site of the village of Zabłotowo, in the territory incorporated into Poland in the 14th century. Its founder was Andrzej Potocki, who named Stanisławów in honour of his father, Stanisław Rewera Potocki, or his first born son, Stanisław. Initially, it was a large centre of the Armenian minority, and then, since the 17th century, of the Jewish community (in 1939 – ca. 30,000, about 41% of the population). In the 17th century, it became a centre of crafts and trade. From 1772, it was incorporated into Austria. In 1801, Stanisławów was bought from the Potocki family by the Austrian government. From 1 November 1918 until May 1919, the town was under the administration of the West Ukrainian People's Republic and served as the seat of the central authorities. In 1919, it returned to the territory of Poland, where it became a province capital. From September 1939 to 1941, it remained under Soviet occupation; many inhabitants were deported to remote Soviet territories. In the years 1941–1944, it was occupied by Germans. In July and October 1941, the Nazis organized mass executions of Jews, and from December 1941 to February 1943 a ghetto was operating in the town; its prisoners were eventually deported to the German Nazi extermination camp in Bełżec. In the years 1945–1991, Stanisławów formed part of the Ukrainian SSR. It was known under its Ukrainian name, Stanislav, until 1962, when it was renamed to Ivano-Frankivsk.
The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org