Jewish settlement in Jaworzno began midway through the 18th century. In 1748, fifteen Jewish families lived here. In 1886, there were already 406 Jews and, in 1900, 955 Jews.
In 1910, 1,325 Jews lived in Jaworzno comprising 10.1% of the total population. In 1913, twelve Jews were among the members of the City Council which was one-third of the Council membership. This was due, in large measure, to the fact that Jews comprised the better-educated and wealthier group among the city’s inhabitants[[refr:"nazwa"|http://www.jaworzno.pl/nasze-miasto/historia/historia-miasta.pdf (stan na 27 V 2009)]].
In the autumn of 1939, 1,852 Jews lived in the city, comprising 8% of the total inhabitants.
In September 1939, Jaworzno was occupied by the German army. In the spring of 1940, the Germans transported numerous Jews from Katowice, Chorzów and Siemianowice to Jaworzno. In November 1940,the Germans forbade Jews entry into public parks. On 12-13 July 1942, all the Jews (2,092 people) were transported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.
The last two Jewish families were transported on 1 August 1943 – they joined the “death transport” of Jews from Będzin.
A plaque commemorating Jaworzno Jews murdered during the World War II has been unveiled[[refr:"nazwa"|http://www.jaworzno.pl [stan na 15.12.2009].]].