An early medieval borough of Pomerania, first referred to in 1248. It was a property of the dukes of Pomerania, and a castellany centre. In 1309 it was conquered by the Teutonic Knights. The town privileges were granted in the mid-14th century (before 1403). Following the Peace of Toruń, Kościerzyna was again within the borders of Poland (Royal Prussia). In the 15th-18th centuries it was a non-town county. In 1772-1920 it was under the rule of Austria. In the mid- 19th century it was a Polish centre on Kashubia and a centre of Młodokaszubski movement (activity of A. Majkowski). During the interwar period the town was a centre of small-scale industry. At the time of Nazi occupation 1939-45, it had been incorporated into the Third Reich, in 1939 Germans had driven away roughly 13,000 Kashubians from Kościerzyna and surrounding villages (around 1,500 people died, mainly intelligentia). There was a conspiracy centre, among others Polska Armia Powstańcza (Polish insurgent army) and Tajna Organizacja Wojskowa ”Gryf Pomorski”(Secret Military Organization). In 1818-1975 and 1999 capital of the county.
The Administrator has made all possible efforts to present the content accuratly and up-to-date in a way that does not infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, but cannot guarantee it. Therefore erroneous information on the website may not be the basis for claims. If you have any questions, please contact us at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org