Shortly after the Jewish kehilla had been established in Kołobrzeg, the city appropriated a plot for a cemetery on the Münderfeld. Later this area was called Theaterpark (present Nadmorski Park at the junction of Zdrojowa and Mickiewicza streets). On the 14th May 1815 an agreement with the city hall was signed. Before that local Jews buried their dead in the cemeteries of neighboring cities, such as Gryfice (Greifenberg) and Świdwin (Schivelbein). In 1847 religious community and city’s authorities signed another agreement according enlargement of the Jewish cemetery. Nevertheless, in 1885 lack of burial places led to closure of the cemetery with a police order.
In the beginning of 1930s almost all of the tombstones were placed in the cemetery. Yet, in 1937, during the time of the Nazi regime, the kehilla was forced to clear the old cemetery. The tombstones were not removed and only bigger and more valuable monuments were taken and placed by the entrance to the new cemetery. The cemetery was completely destroyed during Kristallnacht in 1938.
The old cemetery was rediscovered in 1995 when in the late evening parking guards noticed two men digging the ground on the edge of the park. The two ran away but one can suppose that what they were looking for were objects made of noble metals. The next day, a randomly asked boy admitted that he has found a bone there. The tombstones with Hebrew inscriptions were also dug out.
The exact location of the first cemetery in the city park was determined thanks to the inquiry that was carried out at the end of August 1998, yet, nothing but weeds was found there. The stones that had been discovered were taken and stored in the city building materials deposit. On the 24th October 2000 lapidary with six tombstones originating from both Jewish cemeteries of Kołobrzeg has been opened.[[ refr:|K. Bielawski, Kołobrzeg, „Cmentarze żydowskie w Polsce”, http://www.kirkuty.xip.pl/kolobrzeg.htm [access on 20.09.2012].]].