A royal village on a trade route in Puszcza Perestuńska. It was granted city privileges in 1580. A trade centre and river port. Destroyed in 17th century by Swedes, it declined. In 18th c. A. Tyzenhauz was trying to bring the city back to life and revive the economy.
Since 1795 it was under the Prussian dominion, since 1807 in the Duchy of Warsaw, since 1815 under the Russian rule (The Kingdom of Poland). In 19th c. it was a town of agricultural character. 1870-1983 it was deprived of its town privileges. A service centre for agriculture and tourism. There was an agrotouristic accommodation. Canoeing and rafting trips were organized. A television company, and a small-scale agricultural, food and timber industry.
Traditional folk art (painted eggs, fabrics) and folklore (a band of Lipsk). A society of Lipsks friends by Biebrza river. A Community Regional Museum and National Remembrance Chamber. The city is located on a hill, on the right side of the river. The old spatial arrangement has been maintained (2nd half of 16th c.). In the city centre there is a rectangular square around which there are small-town buildings and on the outskirts there are buildings of agricultural character. Nearby Lipsk there is a forest reserve Kuriańskie Bagno (a site of capercaillie).