The Jewish community in Maciejów was mentioned for the first time in 1563. In 1897, its size reached its peak – 2,337 Jews lived in the town with a total population of 3,897 (60%). Most community members were followers of the Trisk Hasidim.
In 1921, the community had 2,206 members, constituting 74.1% of the total population. Crafts and trade were the main source of income of the local Jewish residents. They often struggled with making ends meet. The Bund and Zionist organisations were the most influential political groups in the town.
The Germans invaded the town on 24 June 1941. Jews were murdered in a series of mass executions carried out until September 1942.
- “Maciejow,” [in] The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life before and during the Holocaust, eds. S. Spector, G. Wigoder, New York 2001, vol. II, p. 780.