Since time immemorial there has been a settlement of Pomeranian Slovians in the area the town of Lobez. And as early as in the 12th century Lobez was a medieval city with defense walls together with a smaller settlement. It was in the settlement that craftsmen and tradesmen gathered; additionally it played an administrative and military role and in course of time it grew into a town. It is assumed that the town’s name owes it origins to its location, on the river, for the old-Slavonic term „laba“ meant “flowing” or “liquid”, whereas “lobose‘ meant a moist place covered with rushes (reeds).
First written historical records date back to 1271 mentioning a knight, Wolf Bork’ as the owner of Lobez („dominus de Lobis”).The Bork family, who owned the town and nearby villages are closely linked with the history of Lobez. Today the old Lobez County is known as the county of the Bork family. Lobez was one of the first villages in West Pomerania to be granted municipal status . The town, which was probably founded prior to 1295, was received its charter Prince Barnim I. It is impossible to estimate the exact date of this event, for no documents have survived.
However, after 1295 Lobez is referred to as a town (civitas). In 1348, Lobez was granted confirmation of the establishment in accordance with Lubeck law. The residents of Lobez used to elect a mayor, the town’s council and judges from their numbers; they were given the right to fish, hunt and to cut down trees. The town had its own coat of arms borrowed from the family of Bork, which depicted a wolf in a crown. It also had a seal and vault. In 1369, the mayor of the town and the town council referred to the Borek family as the supreme authority, and the Borek family claimed to be lords of the land. In 1400, they confirmed the privileges which the town had been granted in a document defining the town boundaries, its fields and pastures: „...we, the Bork family, now living and also our descendants, who have signed below in our own hand, , are honored to given and to have given the privilege and freedom described in this document to our town of Lobez...”
The market square with a city hall in the middle was the centre of Lobez. The main streets ran from the main square. In the 16th century a fortified defense wall surrounded the town dating back to the 18th century. There were two entrance gates. Near the market square there was a wooden church; in the 15th century it was replaced with a building of brick and stone . In 1640 the town was granted its own rule of law. In order to reinforce their rule of power over the surrounding lands, the Borek family built a castle in Lobez as early as in the 13th century. However, it was destroyed by a fire in 1670, and never rebuilt. The remains of ruins were taken down in 1832. St. Jerzy hospital was run by clergymen in the town from the 14th century; it was situated nearby the Griffin Gate. The hospital was also founded by the Borek family. From the 16th century the town had paved streets. The town also had an executioner who carried out death sentences.
For the residents of Lobez it was the wars which did the most damage. The town was occupied by foreign armies on several occasions which always led to looting and vandalism. Fires and epidemics which wiped out vast numbers of the population also took their toll on the town. In 1648, under the Peace Treaty of Westphalia , the independent Duchy of West Pomerania was dissolved and Lobez came under the rule of Brandenburg. From the 17th century onwards the town started to expand and there were over 220 houses in 1782. During the Napoleonic wars, on the 7th of November 1806, 4 squadrons of French hussars arrived in the town. In the same year the 12th French regiment of cuirassiers was stationed in Lobez. Lobez was always a service center for nearby villages as far as agriculture, trade and crafts were concerned, and is still today. A few factories were built based mainly on the local resources, such as starchworks, a watermill, a dairy, and distillery and ‘brick-works’ in the town. In 1859 a railway between Stargard and Koszalin was built which substantially boosted the town’s economy. At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century many Poles were employed as seasonal workers on the nearby farms.
During World War II the whole of the town center was ruined- 60% of the town’s architecture was destroyed (including houses, craft workshops, the railway station, church and the town hall). On the 3rd of March 1945, the town was conquered by the 1st Armored Division of the Byelorussian Front. This was when the settlement on the Lobez land by residents from various places of the pre-war Poland began. Today Lobez is the county-town.