Steam grain mill on the current M. Buczka Street was most likely constructed in 1883. It was a six-storey masonry building with a gable roof covered with roofing felt. On the roof from the front there was a brick turret with a clock. The adjacent three-storey masonry building, with a gable roof covered with roofing felt, housed an engine room. A ramp ran along the front of the entire building; initially wooden, it was later replaced with concrete. The plant was powered by a steam locomobile with the capacity of 200 HP. The mill had 12 pairs of rollers (6 for wheat and 6 for rye) and production devices very innovative for these times. It was a typically commercial mill with output on an industrial scale. In the first years after its construction, the mill's owner was Oswal Zemler, who employed 13 workers, while the mill's annual output was estimated at 68,000 roubles (Orłow, 1887, 697). In 1905, its owner was listed as Wanda Knoch. The mill employed 18 workers and its annual output was estimated at 85,000 roubles (Jeziorański, no. 2339). In 1910 Wanda Knoch was still the mill’s owner (K.a.K.P. 1910, 18). From 1919, the mill was listed as belonging to "Spółka Akcyjna Rolniczo-Handlowo-Przemysłowa w Łęczycy,” a joint-stock company from Łęczyca involved in agriculture, trade and industry. The share capital of this company was 150,000 Polish zloty (15,000 shares, 10 zloty each). The mill employed over thirty workers. The mill's output was about 10,000 tonnes of grain a year (Sroka, no. 8015; K.p.p.i h. 1932, no. 2047). In the interwar period, the mill was destroyed by fire on two occasions, and in consequence, its building was lowered. In the 1930s, it became the property of new owners. It was a partnership of Jewish merchants and its name changed on several occasions. During the occupation the mill was closed down and the Germans removed production devices from the building. After the war, the empty building was used as storage for agricultural equipment and milling machinery. The exterior of the building has remained unchanged since 1934.
The entry was written on the basis of the text Katalog zabytków budownictwa przemysłowego w Polsce, issued since 1958, on the permission of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.