The Park of Survivors (in Polish: Park Ocalałych) was built on August 30, 2004, during the commemorations of the 60-th anniversary of the liquidation of the Łódź Ghetto.  The park is located between Wojska Polskiego Street and the land parcels at Źródłowa Street in the valley of the River Łódka, which were adjacent to the borders of the Litzmannstadt Ghetto during the war. The park was designed by Grażyna Ojrzyńska.  The original idea of the park belonged to Halina Elczewska, who survived life in the ghetto. She was also the first to plant her “memory tree” at the park. A monument (a boulder that was found at the park), commemorating the tragic events of 1939-1944, was unveiled under one of the cemetery's two oaks.  The boulder contains inscriptions in four languages: Polish, English, Hebrew and Yiddish.

418 Holocaust survivors who were able to come to Łódź, planted their trees: oaks, maples, limes, birches, hornbeams, beeches, pines, spruces, and larches. The trees were numbered and registered; the survivors were handed certificates with their names and the numbers of their trees. The name plaques and tree number of each survivor was placed on the side of the Arnold Mostowicz Alley.  A total of 450 trees were planted on one and a half hectares of land.

The target size of the park is eight and a half hectares, including a water access site on the Lodka River, which is also the site of the Monument to Poles Saving Jews (designed by Czesław Bielecki). There is also the Memory Mound 10 meters high which simulteneously serves as a viewing platform. Besides, there are alleys and squares with pavements made of gravel and white clay and of granite sets.

Print