First historical records of Lubsko as a settlement come from 1253. In 1283 the Margrave of Meissen Henry the Illustrious granted Lubsko city rights according to Magdeburg rights and an array of additional privileges.The city’s economy was based on craft. Cloth and linen manufacturing, pottery, brewing, and shoemaking played an especially important role. In 1343 the Margrave Louis the Elder exempted the city from custom duties on the territory of the Eastern March. In 1350 Lubsko received a watermill on Lubica river from Louis the Elder.
In 1370 Lubsko bought adjoining villages – Dobrawa and Hinków. In XIV century Lubsko came under the power of Dukes of Głogów. A mention of a hospital of The Holy Spirit situated at the place of today’s shopping centre on Reja street comes from 27th May 1401.
In 1411 the city was awarded the right to hammer coins called Halerze. Lubsko was populated mostly by Lusatian people who remained in the area till XVIIIth century. In 1429 Lubsko wa raided by the Hussites. In 1482 the city fell into the hands of the Brandenburg rulers, and thus it came under German governance which lasted until the end of the Second World War.
In 1496 the city was destroyed by a fire, an epidemic from 1527 cost lives of 1100 inhabitants.
In 1534 Lubsko became a property of the Pacek family. Year 1597 brings yet another big fire of the city. In 1854 the first printing house was opened in Lubsko.
The first railroad on the Berlin-Wrocław route opened in Lubsko in 1846.A connection with the city of Krosno Odrzańskie was added in 1913.
The year 1851 is the onset of textiles export to the United States. The following year the first steam machine powered carpenter’s shop was opened by August Kuhn in the street named today Lubelska street .In 1853 textiles’ export encompasses England, Italy, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. Four years later a municipal gas company was founded.
Only a few buildings were damaged during the Second World War. In 1945 Lubsko was taken by the Soviet forces.
In 1954 the city became a seat of province authorities.