In medieval records from 1236 the name Moryn appears as a church village. It was granted municipal status in 1306. The town had defense fortifications, due to its location near the border which required protection against enemy attack. In the 15th century the town was in the hands of the Teutonic Knights. During the wars of the modern era, huge armies, such as the Swedish and Napoleonic armies crossed Moryn's land.
In the interwar period Moryn was a well-known German resort. Morzycko Lake - the deepest lake in Western Pomerania - played a great role in its economy.
In 1945 Moryn was conquered by the Soviet Army. The town was destroyed and depopulated by approximately 20 percent.