An example of the monographs by the Jewish Ostróg historian, Menachem Mendel Biber (1848-1923), in good condition, is held by the State Historical and Cultural Reserve in Ostróg - "In memory of the rabbis of the city of Ostróg", published in Berdichev, 1907, in Hebrew, 346 pages. The monograph contains this dedication, by the author, in Hebrew: "A souvenir for the Russian Museum in Ostróg, Volhynia", and bears the signature, " G. Mendel .Biber" in cyrillic script [3].

The Ostróg Reserve book collection contains a large number Jewish heritage publications. Among them are Torah scrolls, dating back to the late 19th and early 20th Centuries from the Ostróg Synagogue in Ostrog - saved and preserved by J. Nowicki [7]. The Ostróg Synagogue is also the source of a number of copies of the Babylonian Talmud published in Vilnius, Warsaw and Zhytomyr, dating back to the second half of the 19th Century. They include five books which were published in Zhytomyr, by the Shapiro brothers, between the years 1858-1862.

The collection also includes three books, published in Ostróg in the first thirty years of the 19th Century. These are "The Psalms of David" (1825), "Macḥzor, or sacred prayers" (1829) and  "Passover Haggadah" (1832). The last publication is illustrated with woodcuts - vignettes, ornate script and engravings from the Bible relating to the rituals of Passover ("The Killing of the Egyptians by Moses", "The Jews' Exodus From Egypt", "Crossing of the Nile by the Jews", "The Four Sons," "The Eastern Ceremony" and others).

Print