In the 18th century, the first Jews started to settle down here. A Jewish community with a synagogue was formed here very quickly.

In the interwar period, in 1921, 500 Jews lived here. A lot of social and cultural organizations were active here. After 1930 a lot of Jews emigrated from here and a result the seat of kehillah was transferred to Rembertów.

During World War II, in September 1939,Okuniew was occupied by the German Army. 

In April 1940, the Germans deported all the Jews to the Warsaw Ghetto from here.

Print