The beginnings of the Old-New synagogue in Maskavas Forštate (“Moscow District”) date back to 1780. At first, it was located in a wooden residential house. In 1843, a brick building was erected in its place. In 1889, it was remodelled in the Neo-Romanesque style according to the design by R. Schmaeling. This transformation probably gave rise to its unusual name. It was burnt down on 4 July 1941 alongside all synagogues in Riga. A number of people were consumed by the flames. After 1945, the synagogue was rebuilt and converted into a residential house.