Sulechów began as an early medieval gord (fortress) on the route from Greater Poland to Lusatia and from Silesia to Western Pomerania. It originally belonged to the Dukes of Głogów and was granted town privileges before 1319 (after 1312). It fell under Czech dominion in 1292, and in 1482 was taken (as a fief until 1538) by Brandenburg.  In 1701 it became a part of Prussia (Germanized name: Züllichau). Cloth manufacture developed into a major source of the town’s income in the 17th century; by the end of the 18th century the town was known for the manufacture of fabric, silk, and fustian for export to Russia. Sulechów kept its Polish character despite Germanization. In 1870 a railway line was built in the town, and in 1898 a harbor was constructed on the Oder river. During World War II it was the sight of two labor camps for Soviet Citizens, and approximately 65% of the town was destroyed by the end of the war. Sulechów has been a part of Poland since 1945, and was a county capital from 1951 until 1975.

This entry has been prepared based on PWN source materials.

Print