Jewish Cemetery in Szydłowiec (Wschodnia Street) was established after 1788. Last known burial took place here in 1943. During World War II Nazis devastated the cemetery.
In the area of 2.8 hectares ca. 3,000 matzevot have been preserved. The oldest of them comes from 1831. Most of them are made of limestone and sandstone, they are decorated with marvelous engravings and inscriptions in Hebrew and Yiddish.
In 1957 the cemetery was tidied up, cleaned, fenced with a wall with a gate. In 1971 commemorative plaque in memory of 16,000 Jews from Szydłowiec ghetto, who were murdered by Nazis in camps, was placed there.
Next cleaning works were carried on in 1978-1991.
- Location [as of 24 April 2009].