It is located 250 m to the north-east of the market square, on the Sołokija River. It was established in 1621 or 1623. The last known burial took place in 1943. During WWII it was partially devastated. In September 1939 it happened to be on the front line. After invading the town, the Nazis devastated the cemetery, whereas in 1942 they carried out a mass execution of Jewish population there. They used wooden matzevot to pave sidewalks by the Gestapo headquarters and by the house of the German prefect of Tomaszow. After the war the neglected cemetery gave in to progressive devastation.
The gravestones which can be found at the cemetery nowadays are mainly reconstructions of the devastated ones. Some decorations and inscriptions in Hebrew have been preserved on several matzevot.
At the beginning of the 1990s the cemetery was renovated thanks to the efforts of the Tomaszów Jews who had survived the war. In the years 1992–1993 vast tidying works were carried on in the cemetery. A new ohel, designed by Eleonora Bergman, was erected at that time, as well as a monument commemorating the Holocaust victims.
It is a big stone with a star of David and three symbolic dates engraved on it: 1623, 1943, 1993. They mark the year of establishing the cemetery, Tomaszów Jews annihilation and reconstruction of the cemetery. A concrete wall was erected in front of the monument – a kind of a wailing wall with a cast iron seven-branched candlestick attached to it and an inscription made of metal letters, which runs: ”To the holy memory of the Jews from Tomaszow”. Imitations of nine concrete slabs in the shape of matzevot are arranged around the footing. The entire cemetery is surrounded by a fence with an impressive gate[1.1].
The keys of the cemetery's gate are at Mrs A. Malec (22 Starozamojska Street).
- [1.1] D. Kawałko, Cmentarze województwa zamojskiego, Zamość 1994, p. 237-238.