During Word War II , in September 1939, Treblinka was occupied by the German Army. In 1941 they founded an extermination camp, which was especially designed for Jewish people. 800-920.000 people died in the extermination camp in Treblinka. The Jews from Poland and other European countries (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, France, Greece, Yugoslavia, Germany, the USSR) were executed here. Jewish people were led directly from train wagons into the gas chambers.
In August 1943 there was an armed protest of Jewish prisoners appointed to operate the gas chambers. The extermination camp in Treblinka was closed towards the end of 1944.
On 10th May 1964 a commemorative memorial to the victims of Treblinka was unveiled in Treblinka.