Ustrzyki Dolne began as a settlement under Vlach Law owned by the Ustrzycki family. The inhabitants of the town worked primarily as coopers and tree-fellers, producing wood for use in construction. Ustrzyki Dolne received its town charter in 1727.
Between 1772 and 1918, Ustrzyki Dolne fell under Austrian rule. Its economic development was the result of a railway connection launched in 1782 as well as of the establishment of the oil industry in the town. A refinery opened in 1900 and expanded between 1918-1923 played a major role in the region’s economy. During the interwar period, the town was popular for its cattle fairs held once a year.
Between 1939 and 1941 Ustrzyki Dolne was under the Soviet occupation. Between 1941 and 1944 it found itself under German rule during which all of the town’s Jews (around 1,800 people) were killed.
After World War II until 1951, the was within the territory of the Soviet Union. Between 1945-1952, it was even deprived of its town privileges. In 1952 it returned to Poland and became a county capital. Civil authorities and striking farmers signed a historic agreement in the town on 18 February 1981. Since 1999 Ustrzyki Dolne has remained a county capital in the Subcarpathian Province.
This entry has been drawn up on the basis of material obtained from PWN.