From 15 July 1942 on, the pre-war townhouse at 103 Żeromskiego Street was the seat of Vernichtungskommando, which was an extermination team of Sonderkommando der Sipo-Umsiedlung. The place was referred to as Befehlstelle, meaning a command post. It was from here that Hermann Höfle himself gave orders to transport the Jewish inhabitants of the Warsaw ghetto to the German death camp in Treblinka.[1.1] There was a prison in the building's basement where Jews who had been caught outside of the ghetto were kept. Executions were carried out in the townhouse’s backyard on a regular basis.[1.2] During the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, on 23 April 1943, a fighting group, under the leadership of Natan Szulc, attacked a detention house in an attempt to free the prisoners, but they were defeated. The Germans left the building in July 1943.[1.3]

Following the war, a memorial plaque was placed on the external wall of the townhouse. It read:

Honor to their memory. In this house, in 1943, the Gestapo tormented to death thousands of Jews who lived in the Warsaw ghetto. 

Print
Footnotes