The Warsaw Ghetto Heroes Monument (Polish: Pomnik Bohaterów Getta Warszawskiego), which is located at the intersection of Anielewicza Street and Zamenhofa Street, is the oldest monument commemorating the heroes from the Warsaw Ghetto. It was erected through the efforts of the Central Committee of Polish Jews (Polish: Centralny Komitet Żydów w Polsce) in 1944 in Lublin. In 1946, the Committee asked Leon Marek Suzin to design the monument which was created and built at a very fast pace. The unveiling took place on 16 April 1946.
The shape of the monument resembles a manhole. A plaque with an inscription in Polish, Hebrew and Yiddish is placed on a round low plinth and reads: "To those who fell in the unprecedented and heroic struggle for Dignity and Freedom for the Jewish people, for a Free Poland and for the liberation of mankind. Polish Jews"[1.1]. Three stone steps lead to the plaque. In front of the plaque there is a second round plaque, also resembling a manhole. A palm leaf – a symbol of martyrdom and the Hebrew letter "bet" (Hebrew Bereshit – in the beginning), the first letter of the Torah: Genesis – is placed on it. Red sandstone slabs surround the plaques. The colour of the rock symbolises the blood spilled in battle.
- [1.1] Małkowska-Bieniek E., Śladami warszawskich Żydów, Warsaw 2008, p. 144.