The Jewish cemetery in Wieruszów was formed before the year 1822. It lies in the north-east part of the town, not far from the river. The last known burial was performed before 1945. During the Second World War the Germans destroyed it. The headstones were used to pave the yard of the Gestapo Head Quarters and to form pavements in town. A pavement like this was found by Warszawska St. Gravestones from the 18th, 19th and 20th century were excavated and returned to the cemetery.

Over the area of 1,6 ha of land around 100 gravestones remain, the oldest from the middle of the 19th century. They are intricately carved and inscribed in Hebrew. Fragments of the cemetery wall have also survived.

A mass grave for 86 Jews killed on the 21st of April 1942, during the liquidation of the ghetto, lies in the southern part of the cemetery. A memorial slab founded by Abram Majerowicz has been placed there.
 

Print