Wysokie Mazowieckie began as a village of the Święck castellany in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, first mentioned in known historical sources in 1239. In time, the town absorbed the position of Święck itself and was granted town rights in 1492 followed by Magdeburg Law in 1503. It was a royal town in the beginning, and in the 16th century it became the private property of the Radziwiłł family. It was a craft town known for furriery and shoemaking. The town was destroyed by invading Swedes in the mid-17th century. In 1795 Wysokie Mazowieckie became part of the Prussian Partition of Poland, in 1807 the Duchy of Warsaw, and in 1815 the Russian Partition (Kingdom). During this period the town was home to large Jewish community. In the years 1866-1918 it was called Mazowieck. From 1870 to 1919 it was deprived of its town rights. The town came under soviet occupation between 1939 and 1941 and Nazi German Occupation from 1941 to 1944. Between 1941 and 1942 a ghetto existed in Wysokie Mazowieckie that housed about 5,000 prisoners in all who were later transported to the extermination camp in Treblinka.
The entry was prepared on the basis of source materials of PWN (Polish Scientific Publishers).