In the years 1773-93 an unsuccessful location of the town on the premises of the village Zduny (known from 1394); from 1793 under Prussian partition, from 1807 in the Duchy of Warsaw, from 1815 under Russian partition (the Kingdom of Poland). From the 1820s one of the largest cloth, linen and cotton weaving centres; from the beginning of the 19th century a substantial Jewish population (about 40% of all inhabitants in 1939); in 1825 regained town rights; collapse of cloth making after 1832. From the 1880s numerous branches of industrial plants from Łódź; a railway link from 1903; the largest outwork weaving centre in the Łódź district between the first half of the 19th century and 1939; development of milling at the turn of the 20th century. Incorporated into the Third Reich during the German occupation of 1939-45; in September 1939 a transit camp for Polish prisoners of war; in 1940 two transit camps for officers of the Polish Army and civilians; between 1940 and 1942 a ghetto (about 8,300 prisoners, some died on site, craftsmen were transported to the ghetto in Łódź and others to the extermination camp in Chełmno). A county seat in the years 1956-75 and since 1999. Part of the Karsznice estate incorporated into Zduńska Wola in 1973. Place of birth of St. M. M. Koble.

The entry was prepared on the basis of source materials of PWN (Polish Scientific Publishers).

Print